Friday, October 3, 2008

Post Ike Report

Not much to say these days. We've been living at the house and staying at the boat on weekends but it's really been a pain because the house is practically empty. At least we have the basics - bed, refrigerator, oven, washer and dryer, but that's about it. We're moving back to the boat permanently this weekend. There is no power to our pier so we will need to use the generator but at least everything will be in one place and I can begin to feel like our life is a little more organized.

One bit of good news. We thought we would not be able to sail in the Harvest Moon Regatta this year. We had been invited to crew with our friends Jim and Nancy Brown on their Endeavor 50 named s/v Topaz. We were really looking forward to this event. It's a sailboat race in the Gulf of Mexico from Galveston to Port Aransas (150 miles). Unfortunately Topaz suffered some damage from Ike. The good news is - she's been repaired and is back in the water and ready to sail! We will get to do the regatta after all. Troy and I are both really excited to participate. The race will start in Galveston on October 16th.

Also, I don't remember if I mentioned but Troy and I are both running for officers of TMCA (Texas Mariners Cruising Association) check out the web site at www.tmca.nu . Troy is running for Cruise Captain and I am running for Secretary. I am running unopposed so I'm pretty sure I will be the TMCA Secretary for 2009. Troy's office is opposed and he has to make a campaign speech at the general meeting on October 10th. If he is elected he will have a difficult job ahead of him since most of the destinations that we cruise to have been destroyed by Ike.

My photography class is wrapping up on Monday and I have a project due. I plan on posting it to the blog as soon as I have presented it to the class and instructor. It's been difficult to concentrate on photography while dealing with Ike's aftermath, so I hope I do well on the final project.

Happiness is inward, and not outward; and so, it does not depend on what we have, but on what we are. ~ Henry Van Dyke

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, what's in it for me to join and stuff the balet box for y'all? Now remember from my experiance with crews during races, when the helmsman is yelling at you it's not because he's mad, it's becuse you're to damn slow, now move your feet ya damn land lubber! we're luffing we're luffing! and don't ever tell them that there is no one on board named Hank and even if there was, whats he suppose to do with the sails? And who put all these damn bags on the bow of the boat - I KEEP TELLING YOU -I'M NOT HANK and I'm not ON the sails, there are no sails just a bunch of bags that I put down below when we started to clear the deck for my chair. Wow, who put Capt. Blow hard in charge? Go to Lee's side but the only one over there is Pete? And what side is starboard- most of this old tub is made out of starboard - although you could have put more starboard cup holders up here, cause if I spill my sangria one more time I'm going to freek. YES I know what a sheet is, damn I sleep with one every night! Yes I know the main sail looks like a sheet - so why do you want me to pull on it? I mean you got all these ropes tide to it! WHAT, but you told me to "JIBE", would you rather see my tango?
Just a little friendly advise.
Darryl